The Powder Horn course is designed to help the troop or crew by exposing older Scouts, Venturers, and adult leaders to safely conducted outdoor/high-adventure activities of a fun and challenging nature. The course provides an introduction to the resources needed to successfully lead youth through a program of outdoor adventure and is based upon giving participants an exposure to some outdoor/high-adventure activities. The course presenters are expert consultants, from inside and outside of Scouting, in each outdoor high adventure activity. It is not a certification event. It is for any youth or adult interested in experiencing a unit-level, high-adventure program.
The purpose of a Powder Horn course includes:
- Safe participation in fun and challenging outdoor activities.
- An introduction to resources, including expert local consultants, that can improve a unit’s program.
- Exposure to new and exciting high-adventure activities.
- Help in delivering the promise at the unit level.
- Promoting youths’ and adults’ creativity when delivering high-adventure programs.