PA Law – Lion and Tiger Parent

Lion and Tiger Parent Volunteers must secure and provide the following clearances to the Cradle of Liberty Council

If, you have completed an application for your youth to join as a Lion or Tiger Scout, you are considered a Adult Parent Partner.

  • Lion Adult Partners – Clearances are NOT required for Lion Adult Partners as they are participating in the BSA program as parents. Clearances ARE required for Lion Den Leaders.
  • Tiger Adult Partners – Clearances are NOT required for Tiger Adult Partners as they are participating in the BSA program as parents. Clearances ARE required for Tiger Den Leaders.


If, your participation changes to one of the following below, you then are required by law to secure clearances.  Definition: Acting in lieu of or on behalf of a parent (at no point am I the person in charge of children). Or providing care, supervision, guidance or control of children and having regular and repeated contact that is integral to my volunteer responsibilities.

  • Lion, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, or Webelo Den Leader or Assistant Den Leader.  Take on a leadership role; Committee Chair, Cubmaster, Assistant Cubmaster, Committee Member.
  • At a Cradle of Liberty Council owned Summer Resident Camp.  This includes; Musser Scout Reservation and Resica Falls Scout Reservation – clearances ARE REQUIRED of parents/guardians who attend camp as volunteers, as they may be acting in lieu of a parent and will have routine interaction and direct contact with youth.
  • Drivers to camps or events or unit meetings – if a parent asks another parent (parent to parent) to drive their son to an event or camp or meeting then clearances are NOT required. If however a carpool is organized or drivers are recruited by the unit’s leaders, then clearances ARE REQUIRED.
  • Parents helping with fundraisers (Show and Sell and/or store front sales) – if the parent will be or could be responsible for a child other than their own son (or daughter) then clearances ARE REQUIRED.


The following clearances are needed:

  1. Report of Criminal History from the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP), (free after 7/25/15)
  2. Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services, (free after 7/25/15),
  3. Fingerprint based FBI Criminal History Clearance submitted through the Department of Human Services, $27.50,


Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. How long does it take the Commonwealth to process the clearances?

A. Some of the clearances come back within a few minutes, however some may take as long as 4-6 weeks.

Q. What is the timeline to provide the clearances to Cradle of Liberty Council?

A. As Per Pennsylvania law, all new volunteers must secure their clearances prior to volunteering in any capacity.

Q. How to Submit Clearances to Cradle of Liberty Council?

A.  To upload your clearances, click here


According to PA state law, we can only accept a handwritten “wet” signature or a registered digital signature.  If you are unable to print or scan this document, you can download and use the free version of Adobe Acrobat to obtain a registered digital signature.


Resources for further information:

  1. Pennsylvania Website on Child Protection:
  2. Pennsylvania Volunteer FAQ:
  3. Pennsylvania Mandated Reporter FAQ:


Any questions or issues please email or call (484) 654-9214